Enjoying Aruba on Your Honeymoon Cruise
by Shannon Kietaman, writer for Your Wedding Place.com
An Aruba honeymoon cruise is one to remember as you take in the stunning architecture, the white sand beaches, and the sunny climate. Throw in the extensive shopping opportunities, the bustling casinos, and the charm only Europe can bestow, and you and your sweetheart will certainly have an amazingly unforgettable honeymoon cruise in Aruba.
Arriving in Aruba
Activities abound on an Aruba cruise, which is a popular addition to many southern Caribbean itineraries. Located south and west of the hurricane danger zone, as well as a mere twenty miles north of Venezuela, the island of Aruba is a great summer honeymoon cruise destination. Several of the mainstream cruise lines, such as Royal Caribbean cruise line, Carnival cruise line, Norwegian cruise line, Holland America cruise line, and Princess Cruises, offer trips to or including Aruba.
Since Aruba is located a good distance away from the states, a typical Aruba cruise lasts for seven days or longer. When you arrive in Aruba, you will immediately come across a tourist information booth containing brochures to local attractions, maps, and ATMs. When in Aruba on a honeymoon cruise, there are a few facts to keep in mind to help ensure you have a great time:
• Dutch is Aruba’s official language, though Spanish and English are both widely spoken in tourist areas.
• Aruba’s beaches are public, but you will be charged to use shade umbrellas and lounge chairs.
• The florin is the official Aruba currency and is equal to about $0.60. Unites States currency, however, is widely accepted.
What to Do and See When on an Aruba Cruise
While in Aruba, there are many sites to see and activities to pursue. Some popular choices include submarine tours, snorkeling, glass-bottom boat tours, jeep off-road tours, powerboat tours, and sailing tours. For a romantic honeymoon cruise excursion, you can take a sunset catamaran cruise.
In addition to the activities hosted by the cruise line, you ca rent a car or moped and explore Aruba’s many sites. Some of the most popular sites include:
• Numismatic Museum of Aruba – This museum houses a collection of coins from over 400 different countries.
• Archeological Museum of Aruba – This museum has several cultural displays, including stone tools, bones, shells, pottery, and other Arabian artifacts.
• Fort Zoutman – Fort Zoutman, which is more than 200 years old, is located near the Numismatic Museum of Arubamore. It includes numerous cultural artifacts.
• Hooiberg – Otherwise known as “Haystack,” Hooiberg is a 540 foot tall hill located near the center of the island. Made of boulders, this hill offers impressive views of the Venezuelan coast on clear days.
• Natural Bridge – The limestone arch known as Natural Bridge is located on the northern coast of Aruba, opposite from Oranjestad. It spans approximately 100 feet across the water and reaches 25 feet into the air.
• Wilhemina Park – Located within walking distance from downtown Oranjested, Wilhemina Park is small, but offers a gorgeous tropical garden surrounding a statue of Queen Wilhemina.
• Arikok National Park – This ecological preserve covers 25% of the Aruba and contains numerous caves that various Amerindian tribes once inhabited. One cave, Fontein Cave, contains primitive drawings while Baranca Sunu cave can add romance to your honeymoon cruise. With its heart-shaped entrance, it has earned the nickname “Tunnel of Love.”
• Shopping – Shopping opportunities in Aruba are found as soon as you get off the ship. If you go to downtown Oranjestad, however, you will discover a greater variety ranging from tourist shops to upscale boutiques. Here, you can shop for jewelry, watches, china, crystal, perfume, cheese, and chocolate.
• Beaches – No Aruba cruise would be complete without visiting the gorgeous beaches. Since the island only receives 20 inches of rainfall each year, its beaches are ideal for sunbathers. You can also enjoy a number of watersports while on the beaches, including windsurfing, scuba diving, snorkeling, and water skiing.
Aruba offers numerous exciting opportunities. With its sunny beaches, pristine waters, and gorgeous rock formations, it makes the ideal destination for a honeymoon cruise.
© 2006 Your Wedding Place.com
Wedding Planning Tips and Ideas
Honeymoon Cruise TipsYou need to decide on the best time to take your honeymoon cruise (if possible). The best times are when there will be fewer families traveling, such as traveling during non-vacation times during the school year.